New Release; Stock due @ 22nd January;
2-8 players, ages 12+, 300+ minutes
by GMT Games
1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties is an '18xx' game, one of many rail games by different designers inspired by Francis Tresham's 1829. Although it shares many traits in common with the other 18XX games, it has several unique features, such as:
- random selection of companies
- three types of trains
- two different ways to finance companies (either by petitioning parliament or by piecemeal capitalization in a stock round)
- allowing companies to run multiple trains over the same track
- the ability to accommodate from 1 to 8 players
- a special homage to the great “Railway King” George Hudson
Although there is randomness in the game setup, no luck takes a part in the game after that. Your success will entirely be due to your judgement and interaction with other players.
A Note on Complexity: 1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties features game mechanics that are intuitive, and the game plays rapidly. Still, this can be a complex game, even by 18xx standards, due to the formidable decision-making required from beginning to end.
Playing Time: 18xx games tend to take longer than most Euro-style games, but this is a surprisingly short one. Experienced, brisk players can expect to finish a game in around four hours or less.
Notes about the GMT Version of 1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties, for those of you who've played a previous version:
- We're not changing anything in terms of game play. This will still be the 1862 game you love, just with better components.
- Regarding the components, besides putting the map on a mounted game board, we'll be using half-size playing cards for the Stock Certificates and trains, and the stations tokens and track tiles will be on the high-quality counter stock like what you'll find in our previous 18xx title, 1846.
- 1 Mounted 25.5" x 22" Game Board
- 20 different Charters
- £15,000 in play money
- 180 Stock Certificates
- 34 Train cards
- 8 Phase Change cards
- 12 Train Distribution cards
- 6 Player Order cards
- 7 Certificate Limit cards
- 175 Track Tiles: (175 total tiles on thick counter stock)
- 30 Train Permits (on thick counter stock)
- 20 Warranty chits (on thick counter stock)
- 220 Station tokens/chits (on thick counter stock)
- 20 Small wooden station tokens
- 1 Wooden Train marker
- 1 Wood cylinder to mark Stock Operating Rounds
- One Rules booklet